Check out the other pages!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Unchartered Waters ... for me, anyway

 Went to Owyhee Lake this afternoon.  It was a gorgeous day when we left, but a bit overcast when we got there.


 Got to see the "Glory Hole" in action!  The water is taken in through here ... and spit out on the lower side of the dam.


It was kind of eery standing directly over the hole and leaning over to take a picture into this giant suction.



It made me wonder who fast you'd come flying out of here if you fell in the hole.












Got some stuff done this weekend also.  The gate to the round pen needed to have a post erected and set in concrete.  I'd never done that before, but here it is.  I leveled it the best I could.  I'll check it tonight when I come home and see how close I got.  I'll hang the gate later this week when the concrete is good and set.







As you can see, it was a bit late in the evening by the time I decided to take photos.  Good neigbor and I also replaced our joining fenceline that I mentioned a couple of posts ago.  There were three layers of dilapidated fencing we took down:  field fence, no-climb horse fence, and of course, barbed wire.  In its place are the panels from my dog kennel (that have the no climb on it to prevent puppy escapes), plus a couple of new panels we picked up at D&B.  It's not perfect, but it's much better than it was.  I am hoping to buy a panel each paycheck (I know ... I've said this before) and hopefully fence my entire place in panels.

On one of the other gates to that pasture, there was no hinge ... so we propped it up last winter and decidede to deal with it later.  Well, when Dean came over yesterday, he had come up with an idea.  In futzing with it, we modified his idea several times and came up with a great fix for the hinge.  Here it is from both sides.  This was a bit of a pain in the butt, but we got it done and it works great.



That hinge thingamajig is off a chain link gate. 

And here is the climbing vine I'm going to plant in my whiskey barrels on the deck.  I hope it works.


More later,
J

3 comments:

  1. Those dam photos are terrific; I cam almost hear the roar of the water. Love the gnarly tree framing the water too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, I'd be careful your sheep can't get to the morning glory. I've read it can be poisonous to them. Of course I've also read it can be edible, but I'd make sure just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that dam is awesome. I've never seen that kind, just spillway dams.

    Love the gate fix! Super clever.

    ReplyDelete