Check out the other pages!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ride off Clark Rd.

Emily and I went for a quick ride this afternoon.  It was a bit nippy and a bit windy but it was well worth it.  Nice and clear, gorgeous day.

I went out and gave a couple of carrots to both horses, and haltered Buck.  He came out willingly, and Kahlua was much less excited this time than the last time I took her new boyfriend away.  She basically stood and watched.  Good girl.


She's no dummy.  She knew Buck was being taken to work!

Buck.  Shedding like a madman.  Looks like a horse exploded here.



Here's the ride we took.  Went to the end of Clark Rd. and staged at the first turnout.  Then, I used my gps to mark a waypoint there, and marked a waypoint at the furthest point we rode, and then mapped the trip.  This is the approximate route we took (although we weren't on the trails most of the time and created a loop on the way back). 


The starting point is Clark x Sommer Camp Rd.  Distance was about 3.5 miles one way. 

Emily rode her 30 year old Arab (yes, 30!) who is in fabulous shape!  He's a bit tall so kinda tough to get on, especially for Emily who is like 4' nothing.  But she does a great job.


For those of you that don't live around here ... here is a gate that is put in next to the cattle guards so horses can get through (I'm sure there are other reasons these are put in, but this is the one that pertains to me, and it's all about me so there).  Emily's good at handling them, so I let her do it.  :-)


There's a fancy name for them, but I forget what you call it. 

Despite the bit of weather we had recently, the trails were bone dry.




The electrical lines were pretty cool and the horses had no issue walking under the lines or the towers despite the constant buzzing noise.


So much space.  As far as the eye can see.


This was our turnaround point.


The sun was going down quick, and it was quite chilly in the shady areas, so we picked up the speed through the shady spots.  Buck did great.  His gait is coming together, and I loped him a bit.  He was ready to kick it into a higher gear, but I will wait until he's in better shape for that.  He was sweating twice as much as his 30 year old counterpart!


The view ... blurry from my moving camera.


This looks like Lizard Butte to me.  I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.


The next photo is a bit tough to look at, so if you're squeamish ... don't look at it. 

>>>>>>> Graphic photo coming <<<<<<<<<<<

                             >>>>>>> Graphic photo coming <<<<<<<<<<<

                                                   >>>>>>> Graphic photo coming <<<<<<<<<<<


Ok, I warned you.


This here is a bunch of dead horses in a large fenced-in area.  I don't know if these were wild horses, the ranch owner's horses, or if he was giving people places to dump their horses or what.  I'll ask around and see what this is.  I'm hoping it's a good thing since we don't have the option for the necessary evil of slaughter.

I'm not sure what the big black pile was, but I wasn't going to try to find out.



Beyond the spot where the horses lay is this ... looks like there's maybe a boarding facility?  Not sure.


Anyway, I am so glad I got out to ride for a while.  Thanks Emily!


No comments:

Post a Comment