Check out the other pages!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Weekend Wiped Me Out!

Friday evening, I went for a pre-clinic with Kahlua to learn the 7 Parelli games.  (Apparently, that's pretty controversial in and of itself, little did I know.)  The instructor was awesome, went through everything very slowly, started the pressure off at a very low level and slowly increased it, and Kahlua picked things up pretty quick.  We were there until almost 9:30 p.m.

The next morning, I was back out there for the clinic at 8:00 a.m.  Phyllis met me there and she audited, which I think I should have done.  Anyway, I'm very glad I had the pre-clinic because the morning clinic was pretty hectic, and most people knew what they were doing, sort of.  I worked on a couple of the games I'd remembered, and then watched quite a bit ... learning from others.  The clinic would stop in and get me started on something else, and I feel like I got quite a bit accomplished.  I learned quite a bit about how Kahlua learns, which was very interesting.

The afternoon was a lot of fun!  We were horseback and going various exercises.  It showed me what she's good at and what we need to work on ... and how much I suck as a rider!  But I'm getting better.  I like learning her body language.  One thing I noticed is that she is getting more comfortable just ... being ... now that we're hanging out in the arena and there are horses everywhere.  I can do something individually without her having to be near "her" horse (whoever that is for the day).  So we worked on one-rein stops, disengaging the hip, sending the forequarters around the hind, and steering while you're backing up -- all things I needed to learn.  Good stuff!

Went home Saturday and passed out for a couple of hours, then went down and had a drink in Marsing.  Boring. 

Sunday morning, got up and went grocery shopping, went to D&B and got dog food and pellets and some other stuff, came home, unloaded, fed the crew, loaded Kahlua up and headed for parade practice.  It was good we got together so we could see where horses are most comfortable.  Kahlua and I will be riding up front next to Cindi and her horse (we've ridden together before) right behind the banner.  Karen and her horses will be behind is, so we're in a great position.  Now to just get all of my costume together.  Should be pretty easy.

Went out with Karen for lunch/dinner afterwards to Sa Wad Dee and cheated BIG TIME on my "diet."  Oh well.  It was SO worth it!  Sushi!!!  Deep fried sushi!!!  Yummo!  Then I had a dream that I was eating everything in sight.  Yikes. 

Came home and raked and raked and raked leaves into big piles and lit them on fire.  By the time I was done, it was dark out, so I'll be interested to see what it looks like when the sun comes up. 

Passed out about 8:30.  Was up at 4:00 a.m. this morning.  Yeah, a little too early for me. 

Off to work ...J


2 comments:

  1. That seems like it was a good clinic for you, I always say that the first thing you learn at a clinic is how much you don't know, and having been to a few of them I find it's true at every one of them! there is so much to learn, and that is what I love about horsemanship- it's a journey, all the way through, and will never get boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Shirley on this, the more I learn, the more I realise I dont know. But you have the right idea and good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete