Check out the other pages!

Friday, September 26, 2008

Lamb Pen

Well, fatty hasn't popped yet. No, not me! Ewe! Poor thing looks so uncomfortable.

I hung out with an old friend last night. Bacardi. He's still here this morning, hanging around.

Ann made dinner last night ... chicken, broccoli, baked potatoes ... yum! Then I realized (after reading Louanne's blog) that Survivor started last night. Woo hoo! So I went out to work Echo before it started. Ann came with me.

I didn't feel like shedding off a set of adults, so I decided to see how Echo did on all the lambs. They were very flightly, despite that there's almost 20 of them. Echo was her usual awesome self. Interesting thing, though ... she was covering them very well -- even on the come bye side! Did a couple of outruns with her and she got as deep and as wide as she could and came all the way around on the top. Very pretty. But I didn't want to continue drilling the outrun, so I thought we'd try to stick these flighty little things in the freestanding pen (that they've probably never been in before).

The lambs wanted nothing to do with it.

The would sneak past the opening, and Echo would cover.

She'd come in a little tight, I'd verbally kick her out and she took it beautifully. I think she figured out pretty quickly that she needed to be way off the sheep for this. After a couple of splits around the pen and a couple of times of pulling them away from the pen and "resetting" ourselves, we got them penned! I was able to give Echo short flanks. She'd flank, I'd say "there" and she's stop and turn in very slowly. When they were all pointed in the pen, I asked her to walk up, and she very carefully walked in on them, saw that a small "away" adjustment needed to be made or there was going to be a split, she made the adjustment all on her own, and in the pen they all went! Woo hoo! Good job, girly girl! A lamb pen!

Sounds like it's time to start doing some chores with her. Maybe this weekend I'll set up some pen work for her and start getting her comfortable pulling sheep out of the small pens, moving them around from pen to pen, etc. It will be interesting to see how she handles the newborn lambs when they arrive. C'mon preggo!

I am completely smitten with this little dog. Off stock, she's completely passive aggressive with other dogs, dominant but not really, has a bit of bitch to her, but is as sweet as pie to me. She's a nice mix of everything all wrapped up in one tiny adorable body. She's my little Echo Monster.

Happy tails,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment