Check out the other pages!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Herding Donuts

I went to the GSH meeting tonight. Before I left, I needed to move the sheep from my neighbor's pasture into my front pasture so they can (hopefully) graze down the foxtails while they are still green. Yes, I'm dreaming. The lawnmower is gassed up and ready to go.

Anyway, I took Donut Ass out there. Now I've heard a lot of things about how a bitch will lose their head when they are in season. I think DA found her head. She took her whistles very nicely, and we got everyone ... except one ... into the NE pasture. The one ... the tan ram lamb ... didn't know what to do. So it decided the best course of action was to panic. Normally, that would send Echo into a tailspin, and we'd have a chase and gripping and me running and yelling. (Stop laughing. I can too run! Sort of.) Well DA kept her head, took her whistles and worked a single very nicely. At one point, the lamb took off and she needed to get ahead of it, so while she was pretty tight, she was not threatening to do any damage and seemed in full control of what was going on. She kicked it into high gear, got in front of the lamb, and took her down the second I blew it. We got that little lamb into the NE pasture with everyone else.

Moving the sheep from the NE pasture into the SE pasture, it happened again, only this time it was one of the little black wethers Janie just brought over. Again, this one decided to panic. Again, Donut Ass kept her head. While we were busy messing with this little black wether, I remembered that I left the front gate wide open, and that's where the other 39 (I don't now how many there actually are) were headed. Straight for the fresh grass in my driveway. So once we got the little black lamb into the SE pasture, I sent her to go catch everyone before they got out the front gate. She went wide, kicked it into high gear, and I trusted her. Turned my back and closed the gate I just came through, turned around and all the sheep and lambs were headed my way at a nice even pace with a black and white dog in full control.

Good little Donut Ass. Auntie Katy says I should call you Krispie Kremeola. I know there's gotta be a joke about a donut "hole" somewhere here.

Great meeting, though! Thanks Jaenne for all the food and stuff. Lots of fun stuff coming up so be sure to check the GSH website over the next couple of weeks.

Happy tails,
Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment