Check out the other pages!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Oh the subtleties ...

in my body pressure, voice, etc. There's always so much to learn!

Katy and I took Scout and Echo out to Dianne's last night. I love arena. Her field is about to be baled up, so when we go out next week, we should be able to work out there. Hopefully, the weather cooperates.

Anyway, back to Echo ... she's doing very nicely despite how little I feel like I've worked her. We are now starting to correct her for lying down when not asked, stopping on the outrun, and not going deep enough. She's taking it all in stride, but it would really help if I knew what I was doing and my timing was better. But this little dog has come such a long way in what I feel to be such a short period of time. I would love to trial her by the end of the year, but I don't know if I can have her ready by then.

When I'd send her around and she'd go nice and wide, I have that awful habit of saying, "good girl." Boom! That tells her the exercise has ended and now she can do it her way ... which is SO not what that means. It was meant to be, "You're doing great, keep going." So instead of saying, "good girl," I am now just "shhhhhh"ing her, which clicks in her head that what she's doing is right, and it adds a little giddy-up to her step, which is exactly what I am looking for.

The simple nuances of all of this just continues to blow my mind.

Katy and Scout are doing great! I think Katy and Dianne work very well together, and I think Scout is starting to figure out that controlling the sheep is easier the further she kicks out. I'm excited to see how she comes along.

Happy tails,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment