Check out the other pages!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

I guess that answers that!

Last night, I took the camera with me to feed, and had it on auto, had it pointed at the ground, and "clicked" it right before I was going to toss her food over the fence.  The flash went off and she jumped pretty good.  I threw the food over immediately, and she didn't really want anything to do with it.  So I backed up ... and she came into the food ... I clicked the camera again ... the flash went off, and again, she jumped.  Wanting to see where her threshold for the flash was, I backed up again, and got a pretty good distance from her, and still pointing it at the ground, clicked it again.  She didn't completely ignore it, but she didn't jump, either.  So I pointed it at her, took a flash photo, and she looked, but didn't do anything.


 I called it good.  Went in the house, fearing a major setback.  I had completely forgotten about the flash.

Then this morning's feeding ...

I've been introducing Kahlua to the dogs slowly.  In fact, the only one that has been on the same side of the fence with her is Echo.  Echo doesn't really "see" her and pays no attention to her other than to get the hell out of her way.  So, this morning, I armed myself with some warm clothes, my camera, and Echo and Zip.  I grabbed a flake of hay, had the dogs come through the gate with me (where Kahlua met me) ... stupidly turned my back and closed the gate.  Realizing this could have been a disaster in the making, I turned around to find Zip trying to "herd" Kahlua.  He's being quite stupid, right up on her hooves, went completely under her when she wouldn't move, and continued to "herd" her.  She did not move.  Did not care.  How much of that had to do with the hay in my arm?  I'm not sure, but I don't think much.  She does not at all seem to be bothered by the dogs.  Anyway, once I shut the gate, I called Zip off her and he got in big trouble.  I am not sure he was particularly wanting to "work" her, but was doing it because he thought that's what I wanted.  Once I told him to get outta that, he was happy joining Echo off at the other side of the pasture, eating horsey dingleberries.

Yuck.

I clicked the camera and gave Kahlua her food.  Not so much as a flinch from her.  Woo hoo!  So I took the opportunity to step back a little bit and take a couple of more deliberate photos of her.  She was very relaxed, despite the look on her face in this photo.


You can see in these next few photos, she's pretty relaxed, even with the two dogs in the pasture to my left (out of the photo).




We're getting there...

Don't have a whole lot planned for tomorrow.  Spending the day with Mark and Justin and making a simple dinner.  Just laying low.  Maybe go for a drive or something.  It's hard to believe there's no snow yet this year.  Hopefully soon.  They are talking the "d" word on the news already.  That's not good.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. She's making progress! Wee got a little bit of snow today, and it's off and on in the forecast for the next week.
    Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time you work with her you make progress. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kahlua will be POSING for that camera before long! I swear Stormy knows exactly what a camera is. Ham.
    Happy Holidays!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete