Check out the other pages!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wormin' & Workin'

Yesterday, I met Dianne, Susan and Rueben to worm Patrick's sheep. We set up those great green panels he has -- the ones that just hook into eachother -- into two pens, a large one and a small one. We put all the sheep in the large one, then packed the small one full of volunteers. Then three of us got in there -- one to catch, one to worm, and one to spraypaint the butts as they are done. Worked out real well and we were able to get through all of them pretty quick. There were a couple of technical difficulties with the equipment, but we managed to get through it and get everyone taken care of.

Then we set up a couple of panels and worked dogs. I worked Echo a couple of times, and it was amazing to see how all of the things we've been doing just come together.

Early in training, Patrick told me he didn't want me laying her down. Well, I don't think I ever actually taught her one, and the few times I've been laying her down, I'm just nagging her into it. I hate that. So while she was fetching, and the fetch was all off line, I tried to lie her down so I could get a good square flank off her, and she wouldn't take it. So I ran my fat ass out there and got all over her for it. Her down was much better the rest of the time.

However, later, I lied her down, then asked her to walk up, and she was reluctant to do so, so she got in trouble again.

Yes, not fair. I need to pay more attention to that. I also need to trust her more. I would like to be able to have an "on the dime" down on the fetch, but I need to learn not to lie her down on the drive. And perhaps turn it into a stand. (I keep forgetting to work on that.) She knows what the hell she's doing. I am finding out how different this all is than what I was used to.

Thank you, Dianne, for having the patience with me. I'm trying. Really, I am. Keep on me. I'll get it.

Something that would be really helpful is if I actually sant down and read the rules. I don't think I've ever done that.

Anyway, I have tons of stuff planned for today, so hopefully I will get some of it done.

Happy tails,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment