Check out the other pages!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend Happenings

Went out to the Leaf Friday night. Brought everyone but Jag out there with me. Stopped in the Wilder Bar for a beer and took a few photos of the band there. Crashed out and woke up early the next morning and headed over to Janie's for the instinct testing.

Janie made us a wonderful bacon/egg breakfast, and then we went out and put little Drift on sheep. I normally don't put them on that young, but his awesome non-breeder has been bragging about his littermates, so I couldn't resist. I had to know before he went home. It was going to be the only time I could do it.

In short, he was awesome! He gathered very naturally, stayed off his stock, felt the pressure and adjusted himself according. Cool pup!

People started showing up and it turned out to be quite organized. I was testing one dog, and using Zip to help me, when I took a pretty bad fall. Feet came right out from under me and I landed square on my ribcage (ok, the fat over my ribcage), and got the wind knocked out of me. So Janie was on her own for the rest of the testing. I was a little gunshy after that. Someone was videotaping. I wonder if they caught that special little event.

Got a call from Drift's new owner who said they were going to be in town Saturday instead of Sunday, so we made plans to meet at my house at 3:00 or so. Couldn't have timed it any better ... I had just gotten home when they pulled in the driveway. A lovely family with two gorgeous young girls who were just so excited to have Drift. I think Drift is in the perfect place. (K, please keep me updated ... I'd love photos and stories ... I am seriously going to miss him around here.)

So now it's just me, Jag, Zip and Echo. Skar has been bred to Rock and is due to have pups at the end of July. Before I got Drift, I was dreading raising pups again. But after having him, and seeing what a joy a good puppy can be, I am looking forward to having a Skar pup or two. They are just such little sponges that suck up all the information they can. And their desire to please is second to none. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Mark came over last night for dinner and a movie. We planned on BBQ'ing, but being that it was pouring rain, we got a pizza instead. I tried to rent the movies I wanted to see, but the Redboxes in my area were out of them. We saw "Taken" instead. Apart from the last 30 seconds, great movie! A nice mellow evening. And great company. Thanks, Mark!

I have photos from the instinct test (not many) that I need to edit and post on the GSH site. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that today.

Not much will happen today. I might get a book read. Not moving too fast.

Jodi

1 comment:

  1. My Russian friend tells of hunting in the old country with blue eyed dogs from Siberia. The hunter sits on a strategic hill and the dog makes a sweeping cast and drives the stag, or bear, in for the kill.************************* Another acquaintance keeps asking me to pledge to a sub-Aryan, Scandinavian brotherhood that is prevalent in Canada. “Can't”, I muse, “I'm an American Quarter Norse”.********************
    My point? I've been out of the loop so long, that I didn't realize the influx of blue eyed Border Collies. And in researching the matter, the only common catalysis I see, is the CBC Registry. My conundrum is, “Was dar a Hooskie in dar vood pile”? Or did Gary Erickson ship his dogs north. Just pondering. Oob

    ReplyDelete