Check out the other pages!

Friday, December 26, 2008

Barley Vegetable Soup

Here is a soup I am making today. I modified it a little bit (notes below).

Barley Vegetable Soup

1 15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
1 10 oz. package frozen whole kernel corn
½ cup medium pearl barley
1 14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
½ cup coarsely chopped carrot (1 medium) (I used 3.)
½ cup coarsely chopped celery (1 stalk) (I used 3.)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed (I don't have any of this, so I used oregano, thyme and basil
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth

In slow cooker, stir together beans, corn, barley, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Pour broth over all.

Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Makes 6 servings.

Photobucket
(Photo taken prior to cooking, obviously.)

I'll throw a loaf of bread in the breadmaker and have this for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is, but I can tell you, my house smells wonderful!

Happy tails,
JD

1 comment:

  1. wow. you are a cooking fiend, whatever that means...we, meanwhile, are eating xmas candy that we bought for other people and cookies. last night we broke into an enormous ham. i hope it was ham.

    ReplyDelete