Check out the other pages!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

The "Couch Cross!"



Well, what a fun time! The day was gorgeous, although it started out a bit windy this morning. The minute the wind stopped, it warmed up pretty quick.





Don and Dawn Marie served coffee and hot water for tea, and I brought muffins.

Don is in the middle of lambing, so we got to see tons of little lambies running amok or just basking in the sun.



Also had a couple of very cute calves (twins! apparently you don't see that too often)





It was a nice small group: Jaenne & Mo, Dianne K. & Usher, Katy & Jen, Ann & Levi, and me & Echo -- or when Echo is naughty -- Zip!

Dianne K. & Don Couch:



First, we worked on the freestanding pen. The focus was reading the sheep and the intricacies of their body language. The set we started out with was very very flighty. Jaenne & Mo did a nice job of working them and got everyone to relax. Then they got to work on penning. This was the toughest pen of the day, of course, because these sheep had never been penned before.







Usher waiting his turn.



Then Katy and Jen ...



(If you're thinking that looks like Shannahan's Jen, you're right.)



And here's Don's dog, Cash.



I missed snapping pics of Ann & Levi. I went up to the truck, put my camera away and grabbed Echo. Turns out she didn't care if I was part of the equation, so I switched her out for Zip. He did a very nice job.

Lunchtime came ... I was responsible for providing lunch. Costco to the rescue! Turkey wraps, potato salad, chips w/cottage cheese, pickles and cookies! Very little clean up -- especially since we also fed Don's two helpers -- a couple of strapping young cowboys there to put Don's hay in the loft.

Back out to the field and everyone (but me ... hee hee) assembled the "Couch Cross" ...



Don's LGD, Jessica.



The participants patiently waiting ...



Drumroll please ....

Presenting ...

Don and the infamous "Couch Cross!"



Up first, Jaenne and Mo:





Success!



You know how they say a picture is worth 1,000 words? My favorite shot of the day:



Don's open dog, Ali.



I could hear off in the distance someone ask if I was taking pictures of the weeds. I was playing with the focus. See? Same shot:





Next up was Katy and Jen. The sheep were pretty squirrely at first.



But it all calmed down.



Success!



Playing with the focus again ... I love this type of stuff.



Dianne and Usher did great also!



Made sure to get some shots of Ann's Levi this time.







I ran Echo last. She decided that perhaps she should include me, and she did a very nice job.

Everyone had a great time! Don, thanks again for doing this for us during a very busy time of the season for you. And thank you to Dawn Marie for helping with backup. We look forward to doing this again soon!

Jodi Darling

1 comment: