Check out the other pages!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A "very very very special dog"

 
I'm sure those of you that know me are just completely shocked that I'm horrified.  Yeah ... I know.
 
Cloning.  Dogs, no less.  When I first heard about cloning dogs, I thought to myself, "Ok ... that could be useful.  You know ... save a breed ... or preserve a particularly exceptional working dog's lines ... or to research (somehow) genetic disorders ... but surely no one would do this irresponsibly.  No one."
How naive.
 
Ed and Nina Otto apparently had nothing better to do with their money.  $155,000.00. 
 
"Lancelot Encore" is the dog's name - a clone of their former dog.
 
Despite the title of the video being "Couple Clones Pet Dog," I was still giving this whole thing the benefit of the doubt, and thought for sure there was a perfectly good explanation as to why anyone would dump that kind of money into cloning a dog.
 
Maybe it's an exotic breed. 
 
Nina Otto appears to be more "exotic" than the dog does.  The dog is a standard yellow Lab, of all things.  Lord knows we don't have enough of THOSE in the world.
 
Perhaps the dog died while saving their son or something.  Nope.  These pups gigantic paws won't even need to do much to fill the pawprints of the original "Lancelot"  ... for Lancelot was no Lassie-lot, except to Ed and his ... um ... lovely bride.
 
"It wouldn't hurt to have his DNA frozen," says Nina, through her 150 lbs. of makeup that probably cost more than my truck.
 
Lancelot's DNA was put into a "Korean dog," and what the Ottos got back was ... shockingly ... a yellow Lab!  Imagine that!
 
"He looks like him," boasts Ms. Otto.
 
Um, ya think?  You mean he looks like your previous "original" yellow Lab?  Black nose and all?
 
WOW!
 
Hey Nina, do you have any idea if Mr. Sum Dum Fuk just banked $154,000 of your money, and took the remainder and paid someone to ship you a Lancelot Jr.?  As far as I am concerned, it would serve your ass right. 
 
But alas, that's probably not what happened, and Mr. Fuk is probably now making a fortune cloning other useless pets such as "Encore" ... and they probably have equally er, um, creative names too, i.e. "Ditto," "Xerox," "Copy," etc.
 
So what will happen with Encore now?  Will he get the snip?  Oh probably not.  Do I see many more Encores running around?  Absolutely!  I can't wait to see how much his puppies will be going for!  I mean, after all, they will have a very expensive daddy.
 
"We've given a lot more to the Humane Society than we've spent on this ... project." 
 
This .... ladies and gentlemen ... is Mr. Otto's justification.  Yes, the same Mr. Otto that married the caked-on-brain-surgeon sitting next to him. 
 
"He was a very, very, very special dog to us."  Not just "special" ... very very very special!  OH!  Now I get it!  Yes, must clone THAT one!  Whew!  So glad you did! 
 
Jackass.
 
Ironically, the video that came up for me right after watching that one was ... this one:  http://www.cnn.com/video/?JSONLINK=/video/us/2009/01/28/kendrick.oh.frozen.puppy.woio
 
Kind of puts the whole damn thing in perspective, doesn't it?
 
I hate people sometimes.
 
Feel free to comment.  I hope a lot of people see this post.
 
Tails,
Jodi
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You had me rolling on the floor laughing. I agree totally. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their first Lancelot died of cancer....so if 'Encore' is a clone, does that mean he will be predisposed genetically to cancer?
    More money than brains just doesn't describe this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's funny is that last year I saw an episode of the televised version of This American Life that detailed what happened when someone cloned their beloved pet bull. Yes, you read that right...a BULL. AND THEY GOT SATAN! The cloned creature was NOT even close in temperament to the gentle giant that was his dead genetic predecessor. Nearly killed the man. Check it out. Must be online somewhere....

    ReplyDelete