Check out the other pages!

Monday, December 7, 2009

Not very productive ...

I should have been working on this house.  I wasn't.  I woke up this morning at Kirk & Janie's, tried to get the stove lit, but it didn't want to.  I vaccuumed it out and everything, and it didn't want to go.  So I decided to leave and come to the house to work.  Grabbed a folding table out of the hangar, and brought it with me, along with a few pillows and a blanket (there was my downfall).

I set my bedroom up, sort of.  My bed is in place, I threw a blanket over the mattress until I buy some queen sized sheets, and grabbed my wool blanket and a slew of pillows.  Set up the folding table, threw a table cloth over it, and set my computer up.

And I sat here ... all morning ... screwing around on the internet, talked to an old friend, etc.  Then I went to lunch ... in a little town about 10 miles from here called Melba.  What a kick!  It's a beautiful little town in the middle of absolutely nowhere.  It doesn't matter what you believe, there's a church for you in Melba.  All on the same street.  There's a little post office, a couple of schools, small businesses, etc.

And a strip with a couple of bars.

I went into one (the name of it escapes me at the moment) and sat down and had a beer and a burger.  Decent burger.  Good cold beer.  And lots of handle bar mustaches, tight jeans, and cowboy boots.  Woo hoo!  I'll be back!

On the way back, I went up 12th, made a left on Big Foot Rd., a right on Skyline Road (and looking at the map, I see where I went wrong! ... it should have been Sky Ranch), a left on Ross which turned into Nash, a right on Deer Flat, a left on Elbow Lane, a right on Riverside, and a right on Locust.  (This was for Colleen's benefit.  I was talking to her on the phone while I was busy getting lost and trying to find my way back to the Naf's house.)  It was a gorgeous drive, though!  You could see the entire canyon much of the way.  I love it out here.

Needless to say, I will be exploring a lot more of this area in the weeks and months to come.

I got to the Naf's, fed the sheep, fed the dogs, fed the ducks, got some water out to the ducks (no small feat there -- bucket by bucket), made sure the dogs had water, and left Rascal outside.

I came back to my house, lazed around some more, took a nap, then hung "curtains" ... ha!  I can't find the curtain rods I bought several weeks ago, and if I was going to stay at the house tonight, I needed to cover the bedroom windows.  So I took some 6" screws, screwed them in about an inch, and hung some of my old tabbed very wrinkled curtains from them.  Janie would be so proud of me.

Ventured out to get some dinner.  I had Zip and Echo with me, so I let them go potty in the little yard right in front of my house on this side of the driveway.  On my way out of the driveway, my headlights swooped the pasture on the other side of the driveway, only to find six large Mule Deer does looking at me. I was so glad the dogs didn't see them two minutes ago.  I screwed my camera lens on, but not nearly fast enough.  So I pull out of the driveway, and make a right.  I head down the road about a mile with someone on my ass.  In front of me, something is moving.  More deer.  I pump my brakes to slow down to let the jackass behind me know I am going to be stopping.  He remains on my ass, and then was about to go around me, when he finally figured out why I was stopping.  Jackass.  I hope he hits a tree.

Mean, aren't I?

I go to Panda and get some dinner and head back.  It was starting to snow a little bit.

I ate and messed around some more online.  I turn around and look at the dogs who are all stretched out on my bed ... the comfy looking bed with all the pillows and blanket and stuff.  I go and lay down and snuggle with them ... and woke up at 10:30 p.m. -- only to realize Rascal is still outside!  I load everyone up in the truck and head up to the Naf's.  Now it's snowing like mad.  There's not a soul on the road.  I'm in 4 wheel drive the whole way.

I get up to the house, and Racal comes out from wherever he was hanging out, and seemed almost reluctant to go in the house, but I didn't take no for an answer.  Got him inside, made sure he had water and hung out for a bit and snuggled on him and talked to him.  Told him I'd be back in the morning to let him out.  Stopped and talked to Jag and Whiskey.  They were fine.  So were all of the other dogs.  Everyone had already bedded themselves down for the night.  The ducks were still quackin'.  No new lambs that I could see.

Came back to the house, determined to spend my first night here.  It's now 1:20 a.m., and having had a good 3 hour nap earlier, I am not tired.  I watched Oprah's Puppymills Exposed episode.  I am not a fan of Oprah, and had to get through the gagging Oprah-ness of this.  But ... the reality of puppymills is just absolutely horrid.  The show is in several parts, and very much worth watching -- as difficult as that is.  It would remind you of the show "Dealing Dogs" if anyone has ever seen that.  Anyway, I cried several times watching this Oprah episode, sad for all those poor dogs.  I really need to get back into rescue.  Some time next year.  And then it won't take long to burn me out and piss me off again, but hopefully, I can help out a few dogs in the meantime.  Like my ex used to tell me, "You can't save them all, Jodi."  And no, I can't.  But I can help a few.

One at a time.

Well, I guess I am going to lay down on that ultra comfy happily returned mattress that has a couple of very cute dogs on it.

Later ...

1 comment:

  1. Not very productive, I'll say! Through all that... you never called me back! Hmph